Sunday, September 20, 2009

Busy adjusting

Life certainly hasn't been boring!  I'm STILL not totally set up in my room, but I at least feel like I'm getting settled into a routine... and used to to boxes still sitting in my room.  Knowing me, they'll stay there for another few months :)

Work really is great.  I feel slightly out of my league but I think that's just because I haven't had a real grownup job yet.  Luckily, I'm starting at a time when the organization has just restructured and even people who have been there over 5 years are changing positions, so we're all in the same boat and there's more forgiveness towards me.  I slightly find having a desk job less exciting than the customer service jobs I've had in the past.  Especially coming from The Gathering Place - there was always excitement (good and bad) and people to talk to.  Now, everyone at my office is to busy to chitchat for too long whereas at TGP I talked to people during the majority of the day.  So that's taken some adjusting to.  Most of the people I work with are great - helpful and friendly.  It's a for-profit company but is filled with people who are passionate about non-profits and social justice so I feel like the atmosphere is non-profit.  Everybody there is SO passionate about their work which, while intimidating, is also something that is pushing me to succeed.  I hope I can live up to their standards.  I don't feel as though I totally have my job under control yet, but I'm getting there.  I'm also nervous to take on responsibilities because of feeling out of my league.  But, everyday during a moment when I'm either stressed or bored, I realize how lucky I am to have this job.  This is not something that I want to screw up.

I, friends, have been physically active!  I've been bike riding and hiking multiple times since I moved out here just under a month ago.  The first weekend, Michael and I explored Mount Evans which has the highest paved road in the United States.  Mount Evans is a 14er (14,000 feet which are the highest climbable mountains out here) but you can drive to the top.  So we did that, saw mountain goats and big-horned sheep and also hiked a little bit on the trails they have around the lakes at the top.  A slight snow storm also blew in and out in about 5 minutes while we were there.

The weekend after, I participated in a huge event called "Tour de Fat".  This happens in multiple places around Colorado and is sponsored by New Belgium brewery (the maker of Fat Tire beer).  It's essentially a huge bike parade with a festival afterwards.  Bikers from all over the city come together and dress up all crazy and then bike together throughout downtown.  There's not really a statement being made, just an encouragement for people to bike more often rather than rely on cars.  I bought a bike off of craigs list a couple of months ago, so I was able to participate.  Michael, Kiri (my housemate), Joel (their co-worker) and I rode to the starting point from our neighborhood (a 6-7 mile bike ride itself!) and then hundreds of us took of and rode about 5 miles through the city.  It's always fun being a nuisance by holding up traffic!  After, they make you pay a bundle for beer and food and they have a stage set up where musical acts preform and wacky bike contests occur.  They also gave away a bike to someone who traded their car in for the bike.  We only stuck around for an hour or two after the ride because it was surprisingly cold and dreary out.

Just yesterday, I hiked up my first 14er!  No driving up to the summit this time!  I went with Michael, we started hiking at 7:15 and made it to the summit by 10:30.  It was exhilarating to start out so early with only a few other groups of hikers.  It definitely pushed me and I'm sore all around my hips but it wasn't a killer.  The altitude only got to me slightly (I saw many others really feel the affects on the mountain).  We hung out at the summit for an hour and then made it down and back to the car before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in.  I actually had a harder time going down than going up.  It was sooo hard on my knees and I kept losing my footing and falling.  Very frustrating.   But, nevertheless, I'm so proud of myself!  I will be doing another one in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment