Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Nothing else to do but to go mad

It's been difficult to blog because I have such scattered thoughts.  I'll being thinking of something really significant to write about and before I can get to it my mind jumps to the next thing.  Sometimes it's nice to have nothing to do except to be alone with your thoughts, but I think I've had too much of that time.  I kept myself busy for the first week or two of unemployment, but I gradually slowed down and now it seems I've stopped.  I haven't stopped looking for jobs or opportunities, but I've stopped for long enough, mentally, to evaluate life.  And getting caught up in my thoughts like that is removing me from reality and making me question the concept.  Anyways...

Things will start happening again, however.  I finished my enrollment form for the Art Institute and am going to be taking a video editing course one night per week from April - June.  About half of this material will be a refresher while the other have is completely new information.  I've thought about what I want in life enough to know that I want to get back into this field.  So while I sharpen my skills to prepare me, I need something to pay the bills as well.  That's where my mind is as I look for employment opportunities.  I'm not looking for my dream job, just for something to get by.  I've picked up a babysitting gig that will happen occasionally and I also got hired on by my sister in law to clean the spa she runs, but only once every other week.  I have two new strong leads for administrative assistant positions - one which I was contacted for by email yesterday.  The ED of this organization said my resume was wonderful and she was really interested in talking with me about an employment match and told me to call her cell yesterday.  Well, I did call her cell, twice, and she never answered.  So I left one voicemail and another email message asking when would be a better time to call her and I haven't heard yet.  It's possible she will call me back instead of me calling her for this phone interview.  So as of yesterday morning until the present, I cannot relax or go on living my life in anticipation of a call from her.  I don't like doing phone interviews while I'm out and about without a resume, the job posting, and their web site in front of me, so I'm nervous to leave the house.  But waiting around like this is driving me crazy!  So, should I just go on doing the things that I had originally planned to do, even if it means getting caught off guard and unprepared by that phone call?  I wish I could just get it over with so that I could enjoy the day!  Should I bug this woman again and keep calling?  I've been told no.  I guess I'll just make sure I'm familiar enough with those materials that I like to have nearby during a phone interview so that if I do get a call when I'm not near them, it won't matter.

So I don't know when full time employment will happen, but at least I know that I have a class to look forward to and fill some of my free time.  Once I have some form of purpose again, I'll feel better.  I also get to take a little vacation home in two weeks.  I'm just kind of stuck in dead space right now.  Whenever my friends and fiance are home from work or the weekend starts, I'm the one who is dying to do all sorts of activities and they just want to rest.

In other news, looks like I'm getting a fantastic tax return which will tide me over further until I have a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment